Breaking the Mold

I’ve been attempting to create some molds for missing vehicle pieces. My first attempt is here. I learned some valuable lessons from that first attempt although I’ve still had problems. Wheels are tough; there’s no forgiveness for a slight shift in the mold putty or if you press it down wrong.

IMG_3082 IMG_3093

Overall, I’m still not thrilled with these attempts for the Man-O-War scout car wheels. The pegs don’t align properly and the flash is difficult to remove without damaging affecting how the wheels roll.

IMG_3083

The Wind Razor wheels, however, came out fairly well. They are a little rough but I think that’s just something that will improve with practice. I’m going to fill in some of the nicks with more putty and then sand them down nice and smooth.

IMG_3092

My latest attempt was more successful. I evenly split the mold between two halves so they formed a better bond and didn’t slip around. I also cut down on the amount of flash. Lastly is another attempt at the freeze breeze cannon which came out really nice. It did not break and now I have to clean and sand them too. I hope to have pics of them painted and mounted soon.

IMG_3104 IMG_3105

One thought on “Breaking the Mold

  1. Pingback: The Holy Grail

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s